It is also important to note that there may be some shedding of transplanted hair shortly after surgery. This is normal and is due to shock loss- the new hairs will eventually grow back in three to four months depending on the individual’s healing rate Overall, hair transplant procedures are relatively low maintenance and patients can quickly get back to their daily lives. With proper care and patience, the results can be long-lasting and life-altering!
1. Begin light shampooing on the second day after your hair transplant surgery. Gently wash your scalp with lukewarm water in a circular motion, without scrubbing or applying pressure.
2. Avoid using any styling products such as gels, sprays, or mousses for the first week following your procedure as these can irritate the scalp and make it harder for the grafts to take.
3. It is important to keep the head upright when showering or washing your hair; do not tilt at an angle so that water runs down onto your scalp, as this could disrupt transplanted follicles.
4. If itching occurs, use a cooling agent like aloe vera gel instead of scratching the scalp.
5. Do not pull at scabs or pick off any dry skin on your scalp, as this could damage newly transplanted follicles.
6. Avoid swimming, exercising, and saunas for the first 7 days post-transplant as these activities can increase blood flow to the scalp and may cause swelling.
7. Avoid using any kind of heat treatment such as blow-drying or styling, for at least the first-month post-surgery.
8. Take any prescribed medications or supplements suggested by your surgeon to improve healing and reduce inflammation.
9. Eat a healthy diet to help your body heal and repair itself, as well as promote hair growth.
10. Protect your scalp from the sun by wearing a hat or scarf when outdoors, as direct sunlight can damage transplanted follicles.
How to wash your hair after a hair transplant?
1. Wait 2-3 days before washing your hair – During the first 72 hours of post-op recovery, you should avoid any kind of wetting or contact with the scalp. The transplanted follicles need time to become reattached and start producing hair, so wait a few days before washing your hair.
2. Use a mild shampoo – After waiting 2-3 days, you can begin washing your hair with a mild shampoo. Avoid using any harsh shampoos or products during the healing process, as they can irritate the scalp and cause damage to the newly transplanted hairs.
3. Massage gently – When you’re shampooing your hair, be sure to massage gently with your fingertips instead of using your nails. This will help stimulate circulation and reduce any pain or discomfort in the scalp.
4. Rinse thoroughly – Make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly after shampooing so that there are no traces of product left on the scalp. This will also help reduce irritation caused by any remaining shampoo.
5. Let your hair air-dry – After rinsing, let your hair air-dry instead of using a blow dryer. The heat from the blow dryer can be damaging to the newly transplanted hairs and could cause further irritation.
Complete Aftercare Timeline
Some of the hair transplant post-surgery instructions include:
• Avoid touching or combing your scalp for at least 3 days after the surgery.
• Wear a hat, scarf, or hood when you go outdoors to keep your scalp protected from direct sunlight, dust, wind, and dirt.
• Do not wash your hair until it has been approved by your doctor.
• Avoid doing any strenuous activity such as aerobics or running for at least 1 week after the surgery.
• Take medications as prescribed by your doctor to reduce pain and discomfort and help with the healing process.
• Get plenty of rest and minimize stress to ensure faster recovery time.
When it comes to washing your hair after a hair transplant, it is important to take extra precautions. Here are some tips for how to properly wash your hair after a transplant:g
Following these simple steps will ensure that you have a successful and comfortable post-surgery recovery. Hair transplant surgery is a very safe procedure, but it’s important to remember that everybody’s experience is different. So make sure to consult with your doctor before and after the hair transplant to ensure that you get the best results. Good luck!
If you are having an FUE hair transplant, it is important to follow the proper post-surgery instructions in order to ensure a successful outcome. Our experts advise that you wait at least 24 hours before washing your hair after surgery, however, we recommend waiting no longer than 48 hours. It is important not to touch or disturb the newly transplanted grafts in order to give them the best chance of survival. If you are washing your hair at home, please be as gentle as possible and avoid any vigorous scrubbing.
Days 0 – 3
Finally, it’s essential to avoid any activities that could cause your scalp to perspire for the first 2 weeks. This includes rigorous physical activity, sports, and saunas. Sweat can introduce bacteria into the freshly operated area, resulting in infection or scarring. Take precautions to not overexpose yourself during this time period. Follow all instructions from your surgeon.
If you have any concerns or questions, always consult your physician or healthcare provider. It is important to follow the instructions of your doctor to ensure the best possible outcome for your hair restoration surgery. Taking proper care of your scalp in the weeks following the procedure will help to ensure a successful hair transplant.
Days 3 – 6
For the next 2 weeks, you should avoid any rigorous physical activity. This includes anything that causes increased blood flow to your scalp, such as jogging, working out, or bending over.
You should also avoid saunas and steam rooms during this time. The heat from these activities can increase blood flow to the scalp and cause bleeding at the transplant site.
You should also avoid any hair styling activities such as brushing, combing, or curling your hair. Hair styling activities can cause injury to the newly transplanted hairs and should be avoided during this time.
For a successful recovery, it’s also extremely important to follow the instructions given by your doctor. It’s essential that you don’t engage in any activities that involve bending, lifting, or any other strenuous physical activity. You should also protect your scalp from the sun and wear a hat when outdoors. It’s important to avoid any styling products, including hair sprays and gels during the two months after your hair transplant. These products can lead to irritation and infection of the scalp, which might cause further complications with the wound-healing process.
Provided Hair Care Products
We also recommend certain lifestyle changes to help promote healthier hair and post-transplant hair care. These changes include:
• Eating a healthy, balanced diet
• Drinking plenty of water and avoiding sugary drinks and alcohol
• Exercise regularly to improve circulation
• Reduce stress levels
• Avoid direct sunlight exposure and wear a hat or scarf when outdoors
• Use products specifically designed for hair transplants that are free from harsh chemicals
• Invest in a good quality pillow and sleep on your back to avoid pressure on the scalp
• Be gentle when styling your hair and avoid combing or brushing too hard
• Avoid smoking
By following our post-transplant care advice, you can give yourself the best chance of achieving a successful hair restoration process. Contact your DrPilus patient representative today to learn more about our post-FUE hair transplant care plan.
The postoperative care of hair transplants is just as important as the actual transplant procedure; proper aftercare can ensure that your results are long-lasting, and recovery is uneventful. Keep in mind that any hair loss during the first few weeks following a transplant is normal due to shock loss, but if you follow your doctor’s instructions and keep your scalp clean and free of infection, you can expect a full recovery with natural-looking results.
The most important aspect of postoperative care is to avoid any activities that can cause harm or trauma to the new follicles, including excessive sun exposure, heavy sweating, harsh styling products, and vigorous physical activity. It’s also important to keep your head elevated, especially when you sleep, and apply topical medications as prescribed by your doctor.
It’s also essential to follow a proper diet that is rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. As the transplanted hair follicles will require extra energy during the healing process, make sure you get enough protein from sources such as fish, lean meats, eggs, and beans. It is also important to get plenty of rest in order to provide your body with the energy it needs for successful healing.